Some of our past winners!
the Train-A-Pilot Application (PDF)
The Train-A-Pilot Program is back for 2014! Apply Today!
The Experimental Aircraft Association
(EAA) Loren Hodge Chapter 274 and Decatur FBO are cooperating
to make it possible for a young person to earn a Private Pilot
Certificate with relatively little cash outlay on his/her part.
The student will be expected to pay for the required medical
exam and for all required books and training materials. Experimental
Aircraft Association and Local Chapter dues will be $55. The
EAA Chapter will pay for the remaining costs incidental to the
student's obtaining his/her Private Pilot Certificate. Students
who intend to choose some aspect of aviation as their career
are urged to apply.
Rules for eligibility are modest but firm. Refer to the Chapter's
literature, Would You Like To Be A Pilot? for the criteria.
A committee, the Train-A-Pilot Committee, composed of the members
of the Chapter, will choose five candidates from the pool of
applicants. The Chapter, then, will select the winner of the
scholarship from this group of five at their regular
Certified Flight Instructors from the Decatur Aero Club will
do the training. The Train-A-Pilot Committee will monitor the
scholar's progress. The scholar will be expected to maintain
reasonable progress toward achieving the expertise required of
a Private Pilot. Flight instructors have complete authority in
decisions regarding the progress of instruction (when the student
is ready to solo, is ready for cross-country flight, etc.). The
Train-A-Pilot Committee, acting as an agent for EAA Chapter 274,
will hold sole authority and responsibility for decisions regarding
the scholar's termination or continuation in the program.
Applicants' parents/guardians will be asked
to sign an Approval
To Participate statement on the application
form and separate
Hold Harmless statement releasing The Loren Hodge EAA Chapter
274 and officers from damages or responsibility for any occurrence
associated with the program.
Al Gerhold - Decatur EAA
Decatur Municipal Airport
Decatur, IL 62521
All completed application forms become the property of the EAA
Chapter. None will be returned.
- Fill out an application giving all of the required information. Submit the application by the deadline.
- You must be sixteen, seventeen, or eighteen years old.
- You must have at least a "B" average in High School academic work.
- You must have parental permission. Parents/guardians will be required to sign a "Hold Harmless" agreement.
- You will be expected to join and be active in both the Experimental Aircraft Association and the local Chapter.
- You will be expected to fly two or three times each week without the flight training interfering with your school studies.
- You must pass the FAA third class medical exam before training begins.
- You must provide your transportation to and from the training site.
- You will pay for the medical exam and for any required instructional materials including books, navigation equipment, etc. These costs, with dues to EAA and the Chapter, are estimated to be $380. The Loren Hodge Chapter 274 of the EAA will pay the remaining expenses up to $7,000 provided the expenses occur before the specified date.
Call Al Gerhold at
(217) 433-8472 for further information.